Sunday, December 7, 2008

Congratulations Manny "Pac Man" Pacquiao

If i had the chance to tell him something face-to-face, the first sentence that I will tell him would be:
"You're like our OBAMA."

Ok, that was unfair. But i say they do have some things in common. 


Ok, that was unfair. But i say they do have some things in common. 
I say that he is because, first of all, he can destroy social barriers like he can destroy De La Hoya's face. Just like President-elect Obama, he was able to get the support of almost all the sectors in his country especially the minority be it a high-profile celebrity, politician, business people, or just a mere pauper in the street. He made all of them pay for cinema tickets, pay-per-view subscription, listen to the radio, live streaming video in the internet, and all other kinds of media. He made every kind of person gather in one venue and pray the same message especially to those who bet for him--"God please let him win."

Second is the money generated. Pacquaio's earnings will most likely be around $15 M or more for this fight depending on Pay-per-view subscriptions (Sunday Manila Times). This is actually $7.8 M more than what Obama raised in Super Tuesday. Obama was able to raise $745 during his presidential campaign. These two seems like giant money magnets! Kidding aside, Manny is now the first Filipino athelete earning a billion peso solely because of the sport. 

"From a paltry $ 40,000 purse in June 2001 when he made his American debut to the $ 3 million he earned in dismantling David Diaz, Pacquiao has amassed over $ 20,000,000 ($ 950 million at P45 to a dollar) in ring earnings." - The Tech Reports

Last is that both appear are noble in their own fields. The admiration I have given to Obama as a politician in US is almost leveled with my admiration with Manny in the ring [emphasis] As a boxer and an athlete, I do believe in him when he says that he fights for our country and he will win it for us. Moreover, when he is in the ring, all I see is the boxer warrior in him. I forget all his flaws, like running in congress and horrible hosting performances. 

Other things I'm happy for:
1. No heavy traffic!
2. Virtually zero crime rate
3. Informal and brief ceasefire in Mindanao
4. He's one of the Filipinos I am proud to witness ascend to success

I do hope we will be able to find the parallel things that Manny and Obama have alike in us. Things that can cause the fall of social barriers, attract resources, and radiate nobility. 

1 comment:

  1. melai, please edit my URL for my blog. I changed it to :

    http://lightbulboverload.blogspot.com/


    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

A green drop in a bucket...

...will hopefully make a difference in this seemingly hopeless country, Philippines.
Carmela "Melai" Prado is my name; nice for you to drop by. I'm a print layout artist editor learning to be a grammar nazi due to demands of extra-curricular work, The LaSallian. I'm a proud probinsyana of Tarlac!