Sunday, November 9, 2008

Women on top

When HIllary Clinton tried to run head to head with Barack Obama in the Democratic Presidential nominee, gender and racial issue were also the hot topics. If either of them will win as the presidential candidate (assuming a weak Republican candidate), it will be a first time for America to have a woman or an African-American president. 

However, as a lady, let's look more into the issue of gender. Look at the photo below (courtesy of NYTimes), even a young supporter who maybe doesn't know yet the word gender issue is showing implications of sexism in the array of past US presidents. But we are Filipinos. Therefore, let's us have a local look at gender issues in the arena of Philippine politics. Specifically women politicians in the country.


GRACE PADACA . You know her? No? Here's a photo.
 
Still don't know her? Maybe another photo will give you an idea...

Yes, she's handicapped and she's currently the governor of Isabela. She's also one of my idols. 
Before a radio commentator, now a dedicated government official who toppled down the political dynasty of Dy's in Isabela. Just like what happened in Pampanga, the people of her town got sick of the traditional kind of politics that Dy's were not providing. I'm proud of Isabelinos. 

Grace is a very inspiring person. Despite being a polio victim, she still manage to be a valedictorian when she was in elementary and high school. She's also a magna cum laude in college. Moreover, she received Ramon Magsaysay Award for Government Service. Because of her, what if I also run for position in my own province? To serve maybe, to make it a better place for my fellow CamileÅ„os. Still a blur but I'm currently thinking about it. 

For the meantime, GO GRACE PADACA! I do hope leaders like her will follow her soon. I may follower her soon. I just need to make sure I will have the strong values so that I will not be eaten by our corrupt political structure. God help us find leaders like her in the 2010 election. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A green drop in a bucket...

...will hopefully make a difference in this seemingly hopeless country, Philippines.
Carmela "Melai" Prado is my name; nice for you to drop by. I'm a print layout artist editor learning to be a grammar nazi due to demands of extra-curricular work, The LaSallian. I'm a proud probinsyana of Tarlac!